Important Updates - Please Read

Important Updates - Please Read

During the break, more information has been released regarding our school's closure, graduation. and NTI. Please read all of the information below. This is extremely important for both students and parents!

School Closure

Due to state and federal recommendations, Scott county schools will continue to be closed until May 1st rather than the original date of April 20th. However, given that these dates are continually delayed and that others schools outside of Kentucky have ended their school year, prepare for the possibility that this may be the last day of our school year and that we might not return to class. As a result, if you are currently failing any courses, it is imperative that you make up work and reach passing status prior to this date. 

For those seniors that were recommended for Senior Project Success, our online credit recovery program, but decided to make up missing work, you need to email me ASAP. I have received ZERO emails during the break requesting late/missing work. If May 1st is the last day, then your grade would stand, you would fail, and you would not graduate this year. You are in a dangerous situation and time is running out! You must be proactive in this process and seek your work from me. I will help you if you demonstrate that you want to help yourself.

For those seniors that did sign up for Senior Project Success, there has been no official word on how that program would be impacted. I would assume online programs would be minimally impacted; however, I will provide more information as I receive it!

For my sophomores, also consider making up late/missing work as to improve your grade and ensure that you do not fail the course.

Testing

As far as I know, the state has waived much of our required testing. I am assuming that sophomores will not take MAP or the End of Course (EOC) exam this year. My source on this is news articles and not our administration. This development also further supports my assumption that school will end on May 1st.

Graduation

I have heard no official word on senior activities, events, prom, or our graduation ceremony; however, I have posted a link to an article from the Department of Education below. This article discusses options regarding graduation requirements across the state. For example, the Civics test has been waived and other electives may not be required. Keep it mind that it may change throughout the month.

Two important considerations regarding this are: core classes (like English) will absolutely be a requirement; and, this further supports my assumption that school will most likely close on May 1st making that a critical deadline!


NTI Moving Forward

On Monday morning, I will post the NTI work for the week on my teacher website. I am making two important changes to how I conduct NTI.

First, I understand that many families are going through hardships: parents and students may have lost jobs, some of you may have become de facto babysitters for siblings, some of you may be down due to events cancelled, some may be very stressed with everything going on, and all of us are missing hanging out with peers, coworkers, and each other! Therefore, my philosophy is to provide meaningful NTI work that is relevant and reflective to what is currently happening without adding further stress. It will be assigned on a weekly basis and will most likely take 10-15 minutes per day for only 2 days a week. Taking care of yourself , mentally and physically, is the most important thing during this time!

Second, to further make this less stressful, I am changing how I grade NTI work. If you fail to turn in NTI work, it will be marked as incomplete in the grade book rather than missing. This way, it will not count as a zero and will not hurt your grade. Completing NTI work, on the other hand, will reward you points and further help your grade. Throughout the week, I will retroactively change this for the entire school year. All NTI days will be following this method of grading.

Questions / Concerns

Feel free to contact me anytime via Remind or email (matthew.drury@scott.kyschools.us)! I will try my best to respond as fast as possible. I will be attempting to call you guys throughout the week! Hang in there! Let's make this week a strong, positive return back to NTI!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NTI Writing Prompt

NTI Days 19-23: Apr. 13-17

Fall Break Travel Information